Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The R.O.W.

One of my favorite comedians frequently refers to Americans' lack of interest or understanding in the R.O.W., or the Rest Of the World. As I was reading through the GLCEs for social studies tonight, I think I have figured out a possible explanation.

We don't teach it.

I searched through the document several times searching for something...anything, that discussed the culture or geography of another place independent of the U.S.A. I found plenty of topics about how resources abroad affect our economy and similar geopolitics, but very little about even where other countries are located.

Given the amount of technology that we have available to us in modern times, I think it is absolutely obvious that we should be using this to connect students to the "R.O.W".
We live in a global world that children should be learning about. With skype, blogs, youtube, google earth, email, facebook, and myriad other tools at our disposal, why are we still not focusing on global understanding?

No comments:

Post a Comment