Sunday, November 28, 2010

Choice week 11

For this week, I explored an online argument mapping system called Amap. This can be found at http://www.amap.org.uk.

This website allows the user to create a visual representation of an argument with prompts for supportive statements and reasoning for the argument. This is a great way to scaffold students for creating arguments, but it only allows students to add one side of an argument. It is also important for students to be able to predict statements for the opposing arguments. In a classroom, I would not explicitly teach students about this technology, but I would provide them with the URL so that they might explore it on their own time. While I see this as an interesting tool to use, I do not think it would greatly benefit the majority of the students in a class.

I have included an example of an argument map created by this site below.



1 comment:

  1. Cool! Good find. I like the ability to outline your thoughts and have a visual concept flow. I like how you can use your mouse to navigate the concept board. I am not too sure if it serves much of a purpose beyond the obvious, though. It It could be helpful if it was able to organize an outline for you, or help the creator by asking guiding questions.

    ReplyDelete