Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Skype

During our last class, I was afforded the opportunity to skype with a man who has grown up in our education system with asperger's syndrome. This was incredibly beneficial to me as a future teacher because I was allowed some insight into what worked, what didn't work, and what would have helped this specific individual. Obviously I understand that this is one individual and what works for him may completely useless for another person, with Asperger's or not, but it gave me some great ideas nonetheless.

The primary thing that was highlighted for me was the importance of talking to your students about what they need. Students often know what they need and what helps them learn while teachers have to figure it out with each new student. In the future, I can either ask the class as a whole, ask individuals, or have anonymous suggestions as to what I can do to help. Some students may do better with a lot of time on their own, some do better with groups, some may appreciate having the day mapped out down to the minute while others may need to focus on what is happening at the time.

Also, providing students with any possible method for accessing the content is very important. The traditional methods do not always work!

5 comments:

  1. One brainstorm idea I thought of was leaving a suggestion box on a table so that students can anonymously write notes about any concerns or needs they have. One critique of this is that it could be difficult for students to leave purely anonymous notes because the box would be out in the open and the teacher might recognize the handwriting. But at least it gives students a door to communicating without actually confronting the teacher. This definitely would have made a difference for me in some of my classes. I have always been very self-analytical. So, I know exactly how I learn and think and what I need from a teacher. However, I get the impression that many people are not like this and actually do NOT know how they learn and what a teacher can do to help them. I could be wrong, though. I just get the impression that most people could not tell you what works for them and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about what your highlighted point was. Teachers have 20-30 students and we have to figure out how each student works and functions in different types of situations not even counting the differences students have when they are diagnosed with a disability. Students have a much better idea of how they work better whether its alone or with others, if they need time alone, whatever the case may be, they have a better understanding of it going into a classroom. I feel its our job as teachers to talk to our students and see how the work the best, not that we can do what they need all the time but having that better understanding of them will (I feel) help the succeed so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Special Education Major, I often come across students and situations that I am not sure how to respond to. With Skype, it's easy to communicate with just about anyone, in any location. This technology gives you the opportunity to seek the advice from other knowledgeable sources. I agree that talking with someone with the same special needs as one of your student can be very helpful. Sometimes these people are our best resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post with a lot of awesome points. I love the idea of asking your students what works best for them. I feel that this is very often overlooked by educators, we try to figure out the best ways for students to learn but we forget to do the most obvious thing... just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. Asking students what they need in order to succeed in school will allow the child to incorporate their input in their education. The children will feel some power and respect toward the teacher because they believe the teacher cares about the child. Just by asking the children questions such as, "what can I do to help you better understand this information?" or "what could I do to help you feel more comfortable in the classroom?" are simply questions that can really help each student succeed in school.

    ReplyDelete